British PoW escaped 200 times to meet German lover
The story of a British prisoner of war who had a secret affair with a German girl while held captive by the Nazis is to be turned into a Hollywood film.
Horace Greasley was captured during the retreat to Dunkirk and imprisoned for two-and-a-half years during the Second World War in a PoW camp in Lamsdorf, Poland.
It was during this time that he began a relationship with Rosa Rauchbach, a girl from a nearby village who was hiding her part-Jewish background from the Nazis while she worked as a translator at a marble quarry labour camp.
He would regularly sneak out at night for trysts with his lover in a chapel and she would help him find food and equipment he could then smuggle back to the camp....
comments powered by Disqus
- It’s Martin Kramer vs. Ari Shavit vs. Benny Morris
- It's official: 2014 AHA election results are in
- In new book UC Berkeley historian Waldo E. Martin, Jr. takes Black Panther Party's point of view
- Economics historian finds that real social mobility takes hundreds of years
- Historian Tim Furnish says liberals shouldn't be astonished that ISIS is stoning women to death -- "in many Muslim countries ... large majorities ... favor stoning"