Columbia Icon Jacques Barzun Dies After Extraordinary Life of Intellectual Leadership
The Columbia University community mourns the loss of Jacques Barzun, who died yesterday in San Antonio, Texas, at the age of 104.
Whether he is considered as a scholar, teacher, author, academic role model, public intellectual or Columbia University administrator, Professor Barzun had precious few peers.
“No person has represented our University’s greatness as a center of intellectual creativity better than Jacques Barzun,” said President Lee C. Bollinger. “He has shown what it means to bring the breadth of human knowledge to bear on understanding the human condition and improving it. His role in Columbia’s history is permanent.”...
comments powered by Disqus
- Five Things You Need to Know to be a Better Digital Preservationist
- Book on Losing British Generals Wins American History Prize
- Stanford scholar explores civil rights revolution's positive impact on the South's economy
- Harvard Historian Nancy Koehn on Amazon's Tentacular Reach
- Q&A with historian and author Nick Turse