Gil Troy: Bibi and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Gil Troy is Professor of History at McGill University and a Shalom Hartman Intstitute Engaging Israel Research Fellow in Jerusalem. His next book, “Moynihan’s Moment: America's Fight against Zionism as Racism,” will be published by Oxford University Press this fall.
The Ynet/Yediot Achranot main web page says it all. Underneath a picture of an exuberant Michelle Obama, a beaming Barack Obama, a delighted Joe Biden and a happily waving Jill Biden, comes the sobering headline: “Netanyahu Belachatz: Darash MeHasarim V’HaCh’Kim Lo Ledaber Al Obama,” which translates as “Netanyahu Stressed: Ordered His Ministers and MKs Not to Talk About Obama.”
Once again illustrating the problem of having a too-candid Cabinet member whom you cannot fire—or at least whom you believe you cannot fire—Netanyahu’s blunt Interior Minister from Shas, Eli Yishai, confessed: “This is probably not a very good morning for Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.” And to make matters worse, Israel’s wily, passive-aggressive, smug yet eloquent, elegant and popular elder statesman, President Shimon Peres, spoke in a simple code easily deciphered when he responded to a question about the wisdom of interfering in America’s elections by saying: “There are many wise people in Israel and there are many people who think differently. I prefer to belong to the righteous minority not the erring majority.”
Ouch. While camera crews all over the world captured cheers in England and Australia, in Japan and Kenya, echoing the Democratic cheers when the networks projected an Obama victory, many Israelis were scared and brooding....
comments powered by Disqus
- Daniel Pipes says in interview that the absence of anti-Israel protests in Muslim countries is highly significant
- A historian who studies China has discovered an overlooked angle in the debate about the Middle East. Could he have figured out a key reason for Iraq’s failure to defeat ISIS?
- American Historical Association backs revision of the AP course in history
- Middle East Scholars and Librarians Call for the Boycott of Israeli Academic Institutions
- Cornel West and the Insular World of the Obama-Hating Left