Jon Wiener: Another Watergate GapRoundup: Talking About History
tags: Jon Wiener, Nixon Library, Nixon Foundation, NARA, Tim Naftali
The Nixon Presidential Library and Museum opened a new exhibit in Yorba Linda and online Feb. 15, "Patriot, President, Peacemaker." It covers Richard Nixon's entire life, like the permanent installation there, and claims to present "a fuller picture" than ever before.
But there's a gap, reminiscent of the 18 1/2-minute gap in the famous White House tapes. On one panel, it's October 1973 and the Yom Kippur War is underway. Nixon is telling Henry Kissinger, "Whatever it takes, save Israel." On the next panel, it's Aug. 9, 1974, and Nixon is landing in Orange County, telling a crowd that he promises "to continue to fight at home and abroad for the great causes of peace, freedom and opportunity." We go from "Peacemaker in his Time" to "Life after the White House."
What's missing is Watergate.
Forty years after Watergate, you might think the Nixon Library would have accepted its place in American history. You certainly would think the National Archives had; it operates the presidential libraries. But the new exhibit in Yorba Linda shows that the Nixon people are still working on a coverup. And the National Archives is not stopping them....
comments powered by Disqus
- 1619 Project: New York Times Magazine Publishes Special Edition Dedicated to American Slavery and Its Legacies
- National Security Archive Releases New Briefing Book on Chernobyl through the Eyes of the Soviet Politburo, KGB, and U.S. Intelligence
- Before Trump eyed Greenland: Here’s what happened last time the US bought a large chunk of the Arctic
- Illinois Governor Signs Bill Mandating Public Schools Teach LGBTQ History
- Controversial Monument to Women’s Suffrage Redesigned to Include Sojourner Truth
- Historian Elizabeth Hinton Profiled in Harvard Magazine: Color and Incarceration
- 'Clearly, he did not take part in our curriculum': Historians bash Ken Cuccinelli's revised Statue of Liberty Poem
- The Increasing Popularity of Hotel Historians
- If You Call It History, You’ve Got to Do History’: Historians Chafe at a Video That Omitted Their University’s Whites-Only Origins
- Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum gets grants to help publish Abraham Lincoln papers