George Lowe, last member of Everest conquering team, dies aged 89tags: George Lowe, Mount Everest, 1953, Edmund Hillary, Tenzig Norgay
The last surviving member of the team which was the first to conquer Everest 60 years ago has died.
George Lowe, 89, died at a nursing home in Ripley, Derbyshire on Wednesday after a long illness.
The New Zealand-born mountaineer was part of the team which helped Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay to become the first to reach the top of the world's highest peak on 29 May, 1953....
comments powered by Disqus
- While French historians take a common view of WW I, British and German don't
- Historian: Proclamation Naming Pa. State Gun Gets Facts Wrong
- Irish slave owners were compensated historian reveals
- Two historians are in a race against time to preserve early church records from destruction
- Yale's Jay Winter sums up what we should remember about WW I