George Lowe, last member of Everest conquering team, dies aged 89tags: George Lowe, Mount Everest, 1953, Edmund Hillary, Tenzig Norgay
The last surviving member of the team which was the first to conquer Everest 60 years ago has died.
George Lowe, 89, died at a nursing home in Ripley, Derbyshire on Wednesday after a long illness.
The New Zealand-born mountaineer was part of the team which helped Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay to become the first to reach the top of the world's highest peak on 29 May, 1953....
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian Fernando Prado on quest to find remains of Cervantes
- Historian shines a light on the dark heart of Australia's nationhood
- Female historian says human rights museum censored her
- Japanese historians slam sex-slave apology review
- Stephanie Coontz: "Marriages require much more maturity than they once did."