Weber State's Susan Matt teaches Germans how to smiletags: Germany, Susan Matt, Weber State University, Organization of American Historians
OGDEN — “There are only two kinds of people who smile all the time: fools and Americans.”
“It’s a great, old Russian saying,” said Susan Matt, Weber State University history department chairwoman and professor. “Americans tend to seem happy all the time, even if they are not, underneath.”
Matt just returned from an Organization of American Historians fellowship that took her to Germany to teach a university course about emotions in United States history.
And although most of her students at the University of Tübingen were fluent in English, Matt did encounter the occasional cultural divide.
“I would say something and pause for a laugh, and there would be deafening silence,” Matt recalled with a laugh. “I would realize that a joke didn’t translate. So I suggested someone write a paper on American humor, and the differences between German and American humor.”...
comments powered by Disqus
- Nelson Mandela Dead: Icon of Anti-Apartheid Movement Dies at 95
- George H.W. Bush Given Lyndon B. Johnson Foundation Award
- Bruce Springsteen's 'Born To Run' manuscript could fetch $100,000 at NY auction
- Hospital Donates Records of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis to JFK Library
- Australia’s Eureka Flag Finds a New Patch