Julian Zelizer: Crunch Time for Immigration, Budget Fightstags: Julian Zelizer, CNN, Barack Obama, August
Julian Zelizer is a professor of history and public affairs at Princeton University. He is the author of "Jimmy Carter" and "Governing America."
(CNN) -- August is going to be a crucial month for President Barack Obama.
As the 113th Congress takes its recess, legislators will be returning to their states and districts to hear from constituents.
The stakes are particularly high for Obama and Democrats, who have one last chance to sway the House Republicans before two hugely important issues are resolved: the immigration bill and the budget.
As politicians in both parties begin to prepare for the 2014 midterms and think about the 2016 elections, this fall might be the last real opportunity for the president to win congressional support for these big measures....
comments powered by Disqus
- Earth Is In The Early Days Of A New Mass-Extinction Event, Researchers Warn
- Without World War I, what would literature look like today?
- The Secret to Early Jewish Success: Literacy
- Egypt’s Nasser is blamed for current problems by the regime
- ‘Google must not be left to censor history’ – Wikipedia founder
- Yale's Jay Winter sums up what we should remember about WW I
- Plagiarism scandals galore … but no consequences?
- Stephen Cohen was once considered a top Russia historian. Now he publishes odd defenses of Vladimir Putin, says critic
- Historian who calls bull&%$@ on July 4th parade causes controversy
- This is what motivated history students in high school and middle school can do!