UW-Madison Ph.D candidate has meltdown over required diversity trainingtags: historians, diversity
Andrea Johnson is the education writer for The Minot Daily News.
If Jason Morgan, a Ph.D candidate in history at the University of Wisconsin in Madison, had any dreams of becoming a tenured history professor at a state university, those dreams probably went up in smoke last week. On the bright side, he may well have a promising career at a conservative think tank or on some ultra-right Republican candidate's political campaign, though that's an awful lot of student loan money thrown down the rabbit hole to be a political hack.
Still, his conservative hissy fit, which can be found at http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/14698/, is one of the more entertaining burning of career bridges I have seen.
On Sept. 22, Morgan, irked by the diversity training seminar he and other teaching assistants were required to attend on Sept. 20, sent a letter of protest to the director of the graduate school. He thoughtfully forwarded the e-mail to several media outlets....
comments powered by Disqus
- Shipwreck Found Under World Trade Center Traced Back To Colonial Era Philadelphia
- Bob Dallek in the NYT gives a rave review of John Dean's history of Watergate cover-up
- Ex-President George W. Bush Authors Book About His Father
- Tears, and Anger, as Militants Destroy Iraq City’s Relics
- Europe notes 100th anniversary of World War I
- History Professor: Convicted Cop Killer Mumia Should Be Celebrated Like Martin Luther King Jr. in Schools
- Robert Drew, Cinema Verite Documentarian, Dies at 90
- Rick Perlstein: “Ronald Reagan absolved America almost in a priestly role not to have to contend with sin. The consequences are all around us today”
- History wars are raging in East Asia
- Round 2: It's Benny Morris vs. Martin Kramer ... Was there a massacre in 1948 in Lydda?