Celtic Paths, Illuminated by a Sundialtags: Celtic people, pre-history
BEWCASTLE, England — The road leading north from Carlisle through the low, windswept hills stretching to the Scottish border traces Hadrian’s Wall, once a remote outpost of the Roman Empire. Nearby is the tiny outcropping of Bewcastle, where a broken Celtic cross with one of the oldest sundials in England stands in a lonely churchyard.
This former Celtic settlement in northwest England tends to draw a New Age-y crowd, the author Graham Robb noted, as he traipsed around the churchyard on a recent blustery afternoon. Such places are at the heart of his new book, “The Discovery of Middle Earth: Mapping the Lost World of the Celts,” in which he peels back the layers of Europe to reveal the traces of Celtic civilization. (The book is called “The Ancient Paths” in Britain.)
A literary historian best known for his biographies of French authors and books about France, including “The Discovery of France” and “Parisians, ” Mr. Robb says that in this work he stumbled on an understanding of how astronomy guided the Celts, semi-nomadic tribes who dominated Europe in the Iron Age, from 800 B.C. to A.D. 600, in their migrations from the Iberian Peninsula to the Black Sea....
comments powered by Disqus
- In words spoken hours before 9-11, hear Bill Clinton say why he could have, but didn’t, kill bin Laden
- Shipwreck Found Under World Trade Center Traced Back To Colonial Era Philadelphia
- Bob Dallek in the NYT gives a rave review of John Dean's history of Watergate cover-up
- Ex-President George W. Bush Authors Book About His Father
- Tears, and Anger, as Militants Destroy Iraq City’s Relics
- Why Benny Morris is both right and wrong
- Professor Ilan Pappé: Israel Has Chosen to be a 'Racist Apartheid State'
- History Professor: Convicted Cop Killer Mumia Should Be Celebrated Like Martin Luther King Jr. in Schools
- Robert Drew, Cinema Verite Documentarian, Dies at 90
- Rick Perlstein: “Ronald Reagan absolved America almost in a priestly role not to have to contend with sin. The consequences are all around us today”