Final Titanic letter sold for more than $200,000tags: Titanic
The last letter to be written on the ill-fated Titanic has sold for £119,000 at auction.
It was written by survivors Esther Hart and her seven-year-old daughter Eva eight hours before the Belfast-built ship hit an iceberg and sank in 1912.
The letter was to her mother in east London and only survived as it was in the pocket of Mrs Hart's husband's coat which he gave her to keep warm.
comments powered by Disqus
- While French historians take a common view of WW I, British and German don't
- Historian: Proclamation Naming Pa. State Gun Gets Facts Wrong
- Irish slave owners were compensated historian reveals
- Two historians are in a race against time to preserve early church records from destruction
- Yale's Jay Winter sums up what we should remember about WW I