NPS Preserving the soul of the heartland
"It's the small details, the small places that work to knit a region together. The little country store, the churches, the barns," said Valecia Crisafulli, director of state and local preservation programs for the District-based NTHP.
"These are the types of signature places we want to identify. Those barns, for instance. They are an immediate physical symbol of agricultural economy and farm culture," she said.
"And they're slipping away. Sometimes it's from development pressure, sometimes a large scale farm overlooks the hidden potential of an old building," Mrs. Crisafulli added.
comments powered by Disqus
- Shipwreck Found Under World Trade Center Traced Back To Colonial Era Philadelphia
- Bob Dallek in the NYT gives a rave review of John Dean's history of Watergate cover-up
- Ex-President George W. Bush Authors Book About His Father
- Tears, and Anger, as Militants Destroy Iraq City’s Relics
- Europe notes 100th anniversary of World War I
- Why Benny Morris is both right and wrong
- Professor Ilan Pappé: Israel Has Chosen to be a 'Racist Apartheid State'
- Robert Drew, Cinema Verite Documentarian, Dies at 90