NPS Preserving the soul of the heartland
"It's the small details, the small places that work to knit a region together. The little country store, the churches, the barns," said Valecia Crisafulli, director of state and local preservation programs for the District-based NTHP.
"These are the types of signature places we want to identify. Those barns, for instance. They are an immediate physical symbol of agricultural economy and farm culture," she said.
"And they're slipping away. Sometimes it's from development pressure, sometimes a large scale farm overlooks the hidden potential of an old building," Mrs. Crisafulli added.
comments powered by Disqus
- Daniel Pipes says in interview that the absence of anti-Israel protests in Muslim countries is highly significant
- A historian who studies China has discovered an overlooked angle in the debate about the Middle East. Could he have figured out a key reason for Iraq’s failure to defeat ISIS?
- American Historical Association backs revision of the AP course in history
- Middle East Scholars and Librarians Call for the Boycott of Israeli Academic Institutions
- Cornel West and the Insular World of the Obama-Hating Left