HNN Quiz: How Many People Did Bush Take to Europe?
CONTEXT When Richard Nixon traveled to China in 1972 to meet Mao he brought with him 300 people, including reporters. The Chinese were said to have been shocked. Even their emperors had never traveled like this.
After Nixon all of the presidents began traveling with large retinues. Indeed, the retinues became larger and larger. In 1984 when Ronald Reagan went to China he brought six hundred people with him. In 1998 when Bill Clinton voyaged to China he brought 900. The Clinton roster included 70 senior aides, 150 security officers, a hairdresser and a valet. Along with the people came communications equipment, podiums and 10 armored limousines.
More were supposed to go. But on the eve of the trip the White House cut a hundred travelers to show that it was being appropriately budget conscious. Officials subsequently admitted that because the list had been shortened at the last minute the government still had to pay for the accommodations booked months in advance for those who had been left behind.
BACKWARD GLANCE In the spring of 1791 George Washington traveled to the Deep South. According to biographer James Thomas Flexner, Washington's cavalcade consisted of"his light coach drawn by four horses, a baggage wagon, four extra coach horses and one saddle horse. In addition to the men necessary to handle the horses, Washington's only attendant would be a valet."
comments powered by Disqus
- How Americans Feel About Religious Groups
- Tea Party support linked to educational segregation, new study shows
- History of Philly Rests Under I-95
- Agreement aims to protect North Shore wrecks from looters
- Award-Winning Filmmaker Kevin McCann to Produce the First Film about the Easter Rising in Ireland
- It's official: 2014 AHA election results are in
- In new book UC Berkeley historian Waldo E. Martin, Jr. takes Black Panther Party's point of view
- Economics historian finds that real social mobility takes hundreds of years
- Historian Tim Furnish says liberals shouldn't be astonished that ISIS is stoning women to death -- "in many Muslim countries ... large majorities ... favor stoning"
- Historian turns baker?