Jonathan Zimmerman says Donald Trump should be given a pardon in exchange for resigningHistorians in the News
tags: Jonathan Zimmerman, Mike Pence, Trump
Can President Trump pardon himself? Nobody knows. But if he resigns, we all know someone who could pardon him.
I’m talking about Mike Pence, of course, who would succeed Trump in the White House. If Trump's vice president offered him a pardon in exchange for stepping down, he might take the deal. And it would be a great deal for the American people, too.
We’d avoid what now seems like an inevitable impeachment drama, in the wake of Michael Cohen’s guilty plea about campaign finance violations that he says were at Trump’s direction. And, most of all, we’d be spared the national calamity that is Donald J. Trump.
Witness the president's praise last week of his former campaign manager Paul Manafort, who was convicted of tax fraud but — unlike Cohen — refused to “break” by cooperating with prosecutors,Trump said. He also suggested that prosecutors should be barred from offering plea deals in exchange for witness testimony, which would make it almost impossible for them to do their jobs.
And even if he did violate campaign-finance laws, Trump added, “almost everybodythat runs for office” does the same. ...
comments powered by Disqus
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of