John Komlos Argues Ronald Reagan's 1981 Tax Cut Led To TrumpismHistorians in the News
tags: tax cuts, Ronald Reagan, Trump
Is it possible that the Economic Recovery Tax Act of 1981, followed by the Tax Reform Act of 1986, the legacy of Ronald Reagan is where it all went wrong? That is the case that John Komlos makes in his paper recently released onto SSRN - Reaganomics: A Historical Watershed. It wasn't morning again.
It Wasn't The Stupid Economy
Professor Komlos is an economic historian with PhDs in history and economics from the University of Chicago. He worked with Nobel laureate Robert Fogel, which impresses the hell out of me, so I have to take him seriously, even though I love ERTA and TRA 1986. Those acts are why public accounting was good to me, despite the fact that I dress poorly, can't stand golf and have a below average knowledge of sports.
The gist of the article is that the decreases in marginal tax rates did not boost the economy. Rather the benefits of tax cuts went disproportionately to the top tier. This has led to despair among the working classes (i.e. Hillary Clinton's deplorables) and the election of President Trump, which Professor Komlos thinks was not such a good thing. But what about her e-mails?
comments powered by Disqus
- 1619 Project: New York Times Magazine Publishes Special Edition Dedicated to American Slavery and Its Legacies
- National Security Archive Releases New Briefing Book on Chernobyl through the Eyes of the Soviet Politburo, KGB, and U.S. Intelligence
- Before Trump eyed Greenland: Here’s what happened last time the US bought a large chunk of the Arctic
- Illinois Governor Signs Bill Mandating Public Schools Teach LGBTQ History
- Controversial Monument to Women’s Suffrage Redesigned to Include Sojourner Truth
- Historian Elizabeth Hinton Profiled in Harvard Magazine: Color and Incarceration
- 'Clearly, he did not take part in our curriculum': Historians bash Ken Cuccinelli's revised Statue of Liberty Poem
- The Increasing Popularity of Hotel Historians
- If You Call It History, You’ve Got to Do History’: Historians Chafe at a Video That Omitted Their University’s Whites-Only Origins
- Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum gets grants to help publish Abraham Lincoln papers