FBI investigates theft of ceremonial tomahawk
The tomahawk disappeared from a display case during visiting hours at the Whitman Mission National Historic Site in southeastern Washington. The thief used a special tool to dismantle the case, said Roger Trick, chief of interpretation at the site.
"Someone brought in exactly the right-sized wrench," Trick said.
Steve Yu, a criminal investigator for the National Park Service, said there were no leads or suspects.
"It might be solved in a year; it might not show up for 20 years," Yu said.
The hatchet-like weapon is one of two so-called "Whitman tomahawks" that may have been used to deliver the fatal blow. The second is on display at the Oregon Historical Society in Portland, Ore., where officials are careful to note there is no way to be sure if either one was actually used nearly 160 years ago.
Both tomahawks were fashioned of iron with hollow wooden handles and designed for dual use as hatchet-style weapons and ceremonial tobacco pipes.
Five Cayuse men were charged with killing 14 of 72 people at the Whitman Mission at Waiilatpu, "the place of rye grass," just west of Walla Walla.
Whitman, 45, was killed with a tomahawk but his wife, Narcissa, 38, died of gunshot wounds suffered in the attack.
comments powered by Disqus
- Study: Violent radicalism in UK isn't associated with poverty
- CONFIRMED: the Shrine of Jonah/Mosque of Yunus (Nineveh, Mosul, Iraq) has been destroyed
- Chinese President Xi Jinping: Nobody can change history
- Iraq’s Long-Lost Mythical Temple Has Been Found…and Is In Danger of Disappearing Again
- CBS features in-depth coverage of the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights law
- Obama to award National Humanities Medals to 3 historians
- Historian Curt Gentry, known for Hoover biography and ‘Helter Skelter,’ dies at 83
- Harvard historian: strategy of climate science denial groups 'extremely successful'
- Curators at Victoria and Albert Museum are pushing the boundaries of collecting
- Ukrainian Leaders Are Using David Barton's Theocratic Pseudo-History To Build Their Nation