July 26, 2019
To Exist is to Resist: A New Book on Black Feminism in EuropeBreaking News
tags: feminism, Black Feminism
This book brings together activists, artists, and scholars of color to show how Black feminism and Afrofeminism are being practiced in Europe today, exploring their differing social positions in various countries, and exploring the ways in which they organize and mobilize to imagine a Black feminist Europe.
Deeply aware that they are constructed as “others” living in a racialized and hierarchical continent, the contributors explore gender, class, sexuality, and legal status to show that they are both invisible—presumed to be absent from and irrelevant to European societies—and hyper-visible, assumed to be passive and sexualized, angry and irrational.
In imagining a future outside the neocolonial frames and practices of contemporary Europe, this book explores a variety of critical spaces including motherhood and the home, friendships and intimate relationships, activism and community, and literature, dance, and film.
comments powered by Disqus
- The Teen Promoter, the Janitor, and a Stunning Rediscovered Thelonious Monk Gig
- Trump’s Racist Housing Tweet is Par for His Family
- Chicago-Area Leaders Call for Illinois to Halt History Classes Until Curriculum is Updated
- John Hume, Nobel Laureate for Work in Northern Ireland, Dies at 83
- Statue of White Woman Holding Hatchet and Scalps Sparks Backlash in New England