A Not-So-Brief History of Scottish IndependenceBreaking News
tags: United Kingdom, Scotland, Brexit, Scottish Independence
Following the resounding victory of the Conservative Party last year, the political drama of Brexit is seemingly in its final stages. On January 31, the United Kingdom is set to begin a transition period that will conclude at the end of 2020 with the official withdrawal of the nation from the European Union. With this departure, however, a new political drama may emerge.
While the U.K. as a whole voted in favor of Brexit back in the summer of 2016, most residents of Scotland—specifically, 62 percent—cast their ballots in hopes of remaining in the European Union, which offers Scotland the trade benefits of a single market and has contributed significantly to the country’s infrastructure and industry.
In a statement released at the time of the vote, First Minister of Scotland Nicola Sturgeon said, “As things stand, Scotland faces the prospect of being taken out of the E.U. against our will. […] I regard that as democratically unacceptable.”
The alternative, a Scottish departure from the United Kingdom, would be a shock to a union that has existed for more than 300 years. And though Scottish voters rejected independence with a resounding no as recently as 2014, that was before Brexit was on the table.
In recent months, Sturgeon and other members of the pro-independence Scottish National Party have floated the possibility of a second referendum. Given the “material change of circumstance” since the 2014 vote, the argument goes, Scots are likely to arrive at a new consensus.
comments powered by Disqus
- How a New Kung Fu TV Series Is Reclaiming Much More Than Just the Martial Arts
- Challenging the Massive Gender Imbalance on Wikipedia: Volunteers Write Women Back into History
- Marshall D. Sahlins, Groundbreaking Anthropologist, Dies at 90
- Review: ‘Exterminate All the Brutes’ Rewrites a Brutal History
- The Union Battle at Amazon Is Far from Over
- U-M Medical Historian Says It Appears History Is Repeating Itself In Our Current Pandemic
- The Health Care Crucible (Review)
- Register for Profs and Pints with Denver Brunsman: The 1814 Burning of Washington
- The First ‘Vaccine Passports’ Were Scars from Smallpox Vaccinations
- Unsung and Unknown — Graphic Biography Details Life of First Black Lieutenant Governor, Oscar Dunn