Digital bid to calm gospels row
An ancient manuscript containing some of the earliest surviving examples of written Welsh is returning to Wales - but only in a digital format. Scholars are divided over whether the St Chad Gospels - or St Teilo Gospels - originated in England or Wales.
The book has been at Lichfield Cathedral for 1,000 years but some claim its rightful home is Llandeilo.
The original manuscript is too fragile to be displayed but a digital version will go on permanent show in Llandeilo.
The text of the 8th Century gospels was written in Latin but along the margins were notes written in Welsh, including references to the nearby village of Brechfa.
comments powered by Disqus
- Nelson Mandela Dead: Icon of Anti-Apartheid Movement Dies at 95
- George H.W. Bush Given Lyndon B. Johnson Foundation Award
- Bruce Springsteen's 'Born To Run' manuscript could fetch $100,000 at NY auction
- Hospital Donates Records of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis to JFK Library
- Australia’s Eureka Flag Finds a New Patch