1801 Australian Public House Unearthed
The remains of what is believed to be one of the oldest pubs in the country were found by construction workers at a development site in Parramatta.
Just a metre below the surface, workers unearthed the cellar belonging to the Wheatsheaf Hotel -- which stood on the corner of Marsden and Macquarie Sts from 1801 to 1808.
A second hotel -- The Shepherd and Flock Inn -- opened at the site in 1825 and continued trading until 1870.
Amazingly, the cellar's timber floor was still intact -- preserved after being water-logged and starved of oxygen. Several spigots -- brass taps put into barrels -- have also been found.
[Editor's note: See Roundup's Talking About History for more.]
comments powered by Disqus