5 columnists face prison in Turkey over Armenian genocide conference
The conference, blocked by a court in May and again in September, was held on Sept. 24 after organizers changed its location. The journalists, Ismet Berkan, Murat Belge and Haluk Sahin of the liberal newspaper Radikal, and Hasan Cemal and Erol Katircioglu of the center-right newspaper Milliyet, were charged with "influencing judicial procedures" and "publicly insulting members of the judiciary." They face up to 10 years in prison. A court hearing is expected on Feb. 7.
comments powered by Disqus
- Journalist Michael Wolraich says he wrote his new book about the Progressives to teach Americans how to do liberal politics
- It’s Martin Kramer vs. Ari Shavit vs. Benny Morris
- It's official: 2014 AHA election results are in
- In new book UC Berkeley historian Waldo E. Martin, Jr. takes Black Panther Party's point of view
- Economics historian finds that real social mobility takes hundreds of years