Churchill's wish to see Hitler executed
The Prime Minister, talking in a War Cabinet meeting in July 1942, described Hitler as 'the mainspring of evil' and, in his flamboyant fashion, jokingly suggested leasing an electric chair " known as 'Old Sparky'" from the Americans to execute him like 'a gangster' if and when he was caught.
The new insight into Churchill's deep anger and bitter hatred for the Nazi Fuhrer " whom he held responsible for more than half a million British casualties " comes in a set of classified Cabinet Office notebooks, released by the National Archives this week. The notes, taken by the Deputy Cabinet Secretary Sir Norman Brook during some of the most critical top- level meetings of the war, shed fresh light on the thoughts and fears of Britain's leaders during the period.
The argument over how to deal with the Nazi leadership, if and when they were captured, resurfaces a number of times in the hand-written diaries.
At one key meeting, on 6 July 1942, Churchill says: 'If Hitler falls into our hands we shall certainly put him to death. [He is] not a sovereign who could be said to be in [the] hands of Ministers, like [the] Kaiser.'
The Prime Minister then goes on to outline his preferred method for Hitler's execution: the most torturous means available " the electric chair. He even jokes to cabinet colleagues that one might be available on 'lease- lend' from the US.
comments powered by Disqus
- ‘Google must not be left to censor history’ – Wikipedia founder
- The most important battle you've probably never heard of
- ISIS is destroying both Shia and Sunni shrines and buildings in Mosul
- Study: Violent radicalism in UK isn't associated with poverty
- CONFIRMED: the Shrine of Jonah/Mosque of Yunus (Nineveh, Mosul, Iraq) has been destroyed
- Plagiarism scandals galore … but no consequences?
- Stephen Cohen was once considered a top Russia historian. Now he publishes odd defenses of Vladimir Putin.
- Historian who calls bull&%$@ on July 4th parade causes controversy
- This is what motivated history students in high school and middle school can do!
- Obama to award National Humanities Medals to 3 historians