Votes start for new Seven Wonders of the World
The foundation’s aim is to highlight the plight of the world’s cultural heritage; the shortlisted monuments had to be man-made, predate the year 2000 and in a decent state of preservation. They include the Acropolis in Greece, Yucatan (Mexico), the Eiffel Tower, the Great Wall of China, Hagia Sophia in Istanbul, New York’s Statue of Liberty and Stonehenge in the UK. The pyramids of Giza in Egypt are the only original ancient wonder included in the list.
comments powered by Disqus
- Shipwreck Found Under World Trade Center Traced Back To Colonial Era Philadelphia
- Bob Dallek in the NYT gives a rave review of John Dean's history of Watergate cover-up
- Ex-President George W. Bush Authors Book About His Father
- Tears, and Anger, as Militants Destroy Iraq City’s Relics
- Europe notes 100th anniversary of World War I
- Why Benny Morris is both right and wrong
- Professor Ilan Pappé: Israel Has Chosen to be a 'Racist Apartheid State'
- Robert Drew, Cinema Verite Documentarian, Dies at 90