Partisan who caught Mussolini dies
The Italian partisan who captured Fascist dictator Benito Mussolini at the end of WWII has died .
Urbano Lazzaro, whose 'nom de guerre' was Bill, died Tuesday night in a Vercelli hospital aged 81 .
Lazzaro, a member of the partisans' Garibaldi Brigade, took Mussolini off a truck at Dongo near the Swiss border on April 27, 1945 .
The dictator, who ruled Italy for over 20 years from 1922, was disguised as a German soldier .
Mussolini was trying to flee to safety after Italy's defeat in the war and the collapse of his puppet regime in northern Italy .
The partisans shot the dictator the day after they caught him .
comments powered by Disqus
- Nelson Mandela Dead: Icon of Anti-Apartheid Movement Dies at 95
- George H.W. Bush Given Lyndon B. Johnson Foundation Award
- Bruce Springsteen's 'Born To Run' manuscript could fetch $100,000 at NY auction
- Hospital Donates Records of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis to JFK Library
- Australia’s Eureka Flag Finds a New Patch