Partisan who caught Mussolini dies
Urbano Lazzaro, whose 'nom de guerre' was Bill, died Tuesday night in a Vercelli hospital aged 81 .
Lazzaro, a member of the partisans' Garibaldi Brigade, took Mussolini off a truck at Dongo near the Swiss border on April 27, 1945 .
The dictator, who ruled Italy for over 20 years from 1922, was disguised as a German soldier .
Mussolini was trying to flee to safety after Italy's defeat in the war and the collapse of his puppet regime in northern Italy .
The partisans shot the dictator the day after they caught him .
comments powered by Disqus
- While French historians take a common view of WW I, British and German don't
- Historian: Proclamation Naming Pa. State Gun Gets Facts Wrong
- Irish slave owners were compensated historian reveals
- Two historians are in a race against time to preserve early church records from destruction
- Yale's Jay Winter sums up what we should remember about WW I