Teachers reject Australian PM's history call
Kate Cameron, the immediate past national president of the History Teachers' Association, said Mr Howard of all people should know the Commonwealth had invested millions of dollars into the teaching of history.
She said the Prime Minister woould soon realise his claims that young people did not have a full understanding of Australian history were unfounded.
"Well, I don't know what he would base that assertion upon – he just said it was obvious to him but he didn't explain what his sources were about how obvious it was," Ms Cameron told ABC Radio.
"I think he's going to be extremely embarrassed when he realises that his own government has poured millions of dollars into providing wonderful teaching resources and professional development opportunities ... to promote the teaching of Australian history."
Mr Howard wants a new approach to the teaching of history, saying it is time students knew the dates of important events such as the Battle of Hastings or when Captain Cook first sighted the Australian mainland.
He also says more should be taught about Australian indigenous history and the importance of British and European history to Australia's national story.
Ms Cameron, a history teacher for more than two decades, rejected the style of teaching the Prime Minister was proposing, saying there was no need for a strong emphasis on the dates of events.
"People of his generation are often hung up on dates," she said.
"The dates are taught, but they are not the centre ... we're not fanatical about dates."
comments powered by Disqus
- Award-Winning Filmmaker Kevin McCann to Produce the First Film about the Easter Rising in Ireland
- Clinton seen as the most intelligent president, George W. Bush the least
- Yahoo gains access to the CIA’s secret museum
- ISIS Toll: Loss of historic sites in Iraq documented
- Black Southern Voters, Poised to Play a Historic Role
- Historian turns baker?
- Timothy Garton Ash remembers an appearance by Putin at a conference in 1994 that's eye-opening
- NYT calls out China for denying visas to historians who write about touchy subjects
- History professor writes and directs a movie about (drum roll) a historian!