Lucky coin found in medieval ship
A French silver coin has been found embedded in the keel of a medieval ship uncovered on the banks of the river Usk in Newport three years ago.
The discovery of the 15th Century coin is being interpreted as a sign that the ship came originally from France.
Experts believe the coin was new and was intended to be a good luck charm.
Project leader Kate Hunter said a colleague was shaking when she found the coin. She said: "We all understood immediately how important it was."
comments powered by Disqus
- Five Things You Need to Know to be a Better Digital Preservationist
- Book on Losing British Generals Wins American History Prize
- Stanford scholar explores civil rights revolution's positive impact on the South's economy
- Harvard Historian Nancy Koehn on Amazon's Tentacular Reach
- Q&A with historian and author Nick Turse