Lucky coin found in medieval ship
A French silver coin has been found embedded in the keel of a medieval ship uncovered on the banks of the river Usk in Newport three years ago.
The discovery of the 15th Century coin is being interpreted as a sign that the ship came originally from France.
Experts believe the coin was new and was intended to be a good luck charm.
Project leader Kate Hunter said a colleague was shaking when she found the coin. She said: "We all understood immediately how important it was."
comments powered by Disqus
- Rutgers historian Rudy Bell leads protest against Condoleezza Rice speaking at commencement
- Islamic history scholar Michael Cook wins Holberg Prize
- Prolific Alaskan Historian, Author, UAF Professor Claus-M. Naske Passes at Age 78
- Historian Fernando Prado on quest to find remains of Cervantes
- Historian shines a light on the dark heart of Australia's nationhood