Anglo-Saxon coin saved for nation (UK)
It is the highest amount ever paid for a British coin.
The acquisition of the 1,200-year-old coin, minted in the reign of Coenwulf who ruled Mercia from 796 to 821, turns a neat profit for American collector Allan Davisson who bought it at auction in October 2004 for a then record 230,000 pounds.
comments powered by Disqus
- Chinese President Xi Jinping: Nobody can change history
- Iraq’s Long-Lost Mythical Temple Has Been Found…and Is In Danger of Disappearing Again
- CBS features in-depth coverage of the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights law
- Archive of WW II war crimes made public
- They tried to kill Hitler. Now they’re heroes.
- Curators at Victoria and Albert Museum are pushing the boundaries of collecting
- Ukrainian Leaders Are Using David Barton's Theocratic Pseudo-History To Build Their Nation
- John D’Emilio, renowned professor of gay studies, retires
- It’s Martin Kramer vs. Ari Shavit vs. Benny Morris