Anglo-Saxon coin saved for nation (UK)
It is the highest amount ever paid for a British coin.
The acquisition of the 1,200-year-old coin, minted in the reign of Coenwulf who ruled Mercia from 796 to 821, turns a neat profit for American collector Allan Davisson who bought it at auction in October 2004 for a then record 230,000 pounds.
comments powered by Disqus
- Yale's Jay Winter sums up what we should remember about WW I
- Plagiarism scandals galore … but no consequences?
- Stephen Cohen was once considered a top Russia historian. Now he publishes odd defenses of Vladimir Putin, says critic
- Historian who calls bull&%$@ on July 4th parade causes controversy
- This is what motivated history students in high school and middle school can do!