N.C. celebrates confederate flag
Not everyone wants the heritage to be remembered as something to be proud of, though.
The Charlotte News & Observer reports hundreds crowded the state House chamber Saturday, sang "Dixie" and saluted the flag -- along with a Civil War-era state flag and the current U.S. flag.
The event -- which the newspaper described as all-white -- was sponsored by the N.C. Division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans.
Many Americans, black and white, see a link between the confederate flag and a pro-slavery, Jim Crow, white supremacy attitude, the newspaper said, but the flag is still honored in the south.
University of South Carolina history professor Clyde Wilson said the response to the confederate flag is only a mask for a hatred for the South.
comments powered by Disqus
John J Capozucca - 3/9/2006
Who would one expect at an event sponsored by the N.C. Division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans who are celebrating the confederate flag--the NAACP? Is a politically incorrect "all white event" a crime as implied? I celebrate the flag because of my heritage and nothing more. And all the fascist politically correct and absurd propaganda about how "many Americans...see a link between the Confederate flag and a pro-slavery, Jim Crow, white supremacy attitude..." will not change this fact.
- Chinese President Xi Jinping: Nobody can change history
- Iraq’s Long-Lost Mythical Temple Has Been Found…and Is In Danger of Disappearing Again
- CBS features in-depth coverage of the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights law
- Archive of WW II war crimes made public
- They tried to kill Hitler. Now they’re heroes.
- Harvard historian: strategy of climate science denial groups 'extremely successful'
- Curators at Victoria and Albert Museum are pushing the boundaries of collecting
- Ukrainian Leaders Are Using David Barton's Theocratic Pseudo-History To Build Their Nation
- John D’Emilio, renowned professor of gay studies, retires
- Journalist Michael Wolraich says he wrote his new book about the Progressives to teach Americans how to do liberal politics