Air raid shelter surfaces in dig (London)
It contained the remains of electrical fittings and gas heaters as well as shoes, an ink-well, a wartime fire bucket and a metal escape ladder.
Chalk drawings and other artefacts were also found. It is hoped the shelter will be kept open for history lessons.
"This was the moment archaeologists dream of," said Gabe Moshenka, of University College London, who organised the dig.
comments powered by Disqus
- Journalist Michael Wolraich says he wrote his new book about the Progressives to teach Americans how to do liberal politics
- It’s Martin Kramer vs. Ari Shavit vs. Benny Morris
- It's official: 2014 AHA election results are in
- In new book UC Berkeley historian Waldo E. Martin, Jr. takes Black Panther Party's point of view
- Economics historian finds that real social mobility takes hundreds of years