Angry Apaches sue Spielberg
A lawsuit filed by the girl's father, Danny Ponce, of the Mescalero Apache tribe, seeks $250,000 (£142,000) for emotional distress and $75,000 (£42,000) in damages from an unnamed stylist and Turner Films, the makers of Into the West.
"It's part of our culture not to cut a girl's hair until her coming of age ceremony," said Mr Ponce. "The only ones allowed to do that are the parents. Nobody asked for permission."
According to the lawsuit, Christina, Mr Ponce's daughter, responded last March through her parents to a casting call for the six-episode mini-series, produced by Spielberg. During the three-day shoot the stylist cut the girl's hair, the suit claims, "to make her look more 'Indian' and like a male Indian child because the casting call failed to produce sufficient young males of Indian heritage".
The Mescalero tradition forbids cutting a girl's hair as she approaches puberty.
comments powered by Disqus
Vernon Clayson - 3/27/2006
This was an American Indian girl, therefore no one will care enough to write an opinion, but imagine the outcry if she were a black child and someone combed out her corn rows without her mother's approval, or someone unveiled a Muslim child without a cleric's approval.
- Study: Violent radicalism in UK isn't associated with poverty
- CONFIRMED: the Shrine of Jonah/Mosque of Yunus (Nineveh, Mosul, Iraq) has been destroyed
- Chinese President Xi Jinping: Nobody can change history
- Iraq’s Long-Lost Mythical Temple Has Been Found…and Is In Danger of Disappearing Again
- CBS features in-depth coverage of the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights law
- Obama to award National Humanities Medals to 3 historians
- Historian Curt Gentry, known for Hoover biography and ‘Helter Skelter,’ dies at 83
- Harvard historian: strategy of climate science denial groups 'extremely successful'
- Curators at Victoria and Albert Museum are pushing the boundaries of collecting
- Ukrainian Leaders Are Using David Barton's Theocratic Pseudo-History To Build Their Nation