Lawrence of Arabia 'made up' sex attack by Turk troops
The brutal sex attack on Lt Col T E Lawrence by Turkish soldiers, which allegedly took place while he was serving as the British liaison officer during the Arab revolt, was considered so contentious that it was covered up by the British Army.
But now, a new history of the Arab revolt is to claim that Lawrence invented the attack in order to smear political opponents and fulfil his own sado-masochistic urges.
The supposed rape on November 20, 1917, at the Syrian fortress town at Deraa has been the subject of much speculation over the years.
comments powered by Disqus
Randll Reese Besch - 5/20/2006
False charges,if they are,contentions still abound in this area of charge counter charge only leave us at an impasse. Having just our own points of view to guide us one way, the other way or no where at all.
Is this defining data or another layer of confusive argument?
What is defining this discussion?
- Round 2: It's Benny Morris vs. Martin Kramer ... Was there a massacre in 1948 in Lydda?
- World War I Anniversary: Five Historians, Two Questions
- While French historians take a common view of WW I, British and German don't
- Historian: Proclamation Naming Pa. State Gun Gets Facts Wrong
- Irish slave owners were compensated historian reveals