Pennsylvania Lawmakers Discuss Curricula in Final Hearing on Bias in Classrooms
David W. Saxe, an associate professor of education at Pennsylvania State University at University Park, testified that studies of Western intellectual traditions were being crowded out of college curricula. That's why he wants to create a Center for the Study of Free Institutions and Civic Education at his institution.
"Thirty years ago, higher education in Pennsylvania as well as the nation began a track toward multiculturalism, diversity, and social justice," Mr. Saxe told the lawmakers gathered here at Harrisburg Area Community College for the second day of a two-day hearing. As academe "slowly converted its institutions, missions, faculties, and programs to complement these new initiatives and lines of inquiry, traditional subject matters became less important," he said. "Studies that centered on the Western tradition -- arguably once the backbone of American universities -- were displaced, left to languish, or scattered throughout the university."
Mr. Saxe said that he had been working on such a proposal for two years and that he is in talks with university officials about developing the program, which would also offer academic majors on the study of free institutions and the teaching of citizenship education. He said he would like to model his program partly on the James Madison Program at Princeton University, which sponsors conferences and lectures on constitutional law and Western political thought. Robert P. George, a prominent professor of politics who identifies as a conservative, directs that program.
comments powered by Disqus
- Daniel Pipes says in interview that the absence of anti-Israel protests in Muslim countries is highly significant
- A historian who studies China has discovered an overlooked angle in the debate about the Middle East. Could he have figured out a key reason for Iraq’s failure to defeat ISIS?
- American Historical Association backs revision of the AP course in history
- Middle East Scholars and Librarians Call for the Boycott of Israeli Academic Institutions
- Cornel West and the Insular World of the Obama-Hating Left