Divided Hungary marks 50th anniversary of anti-Soviet uprising
The move torpedoed efforts to use the 50th anniversary to unite the country in the spirit of the 1956 uprising, when a peaceful student protest spontaneously turned into a mass upheaval against Stalinist oppression.
But on hand to remember the uprising were 18 European presidents and two prime ministers, the kings of Spain and Norway, and the heads of the European Commission and the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation.
comments powered by Disqus
- Journalist Michael Wolraich says he wrote his new book about the Progressives to teach Americans how to do liberal politics
- It’s Martin Kramer vs. Ari Shavit vs. Benny Morris
- It's official: 2014 AHA election results are in
- In new book UC Berkeley historian Waldo E. Martin, Jr. takes Black Panther Party's point of view
- Economics historian finds that real social mobility takes hundreds of years