Free market champion Adam Smith on new currency note (UK)
A new £20 note featuring a portrait of Scottish economist Adam Smith comes into circulation on Tuesday.
The note includes a range of enhanced security measures designed to prevent counterfeiting, such as a wider holographic strip and microlettering.
The new image of Smith will mark the first time a Scotsman has appeared on a Bank of England note. [An image of Smith already appears on Scottish £50 notes.]
Current £20 notes, featuring English composer Edward Elgar, will be phased out over the coming months...
The Bank of England said introducing the new £20 note would be a major undertaking, as the denomination is by far the most common in circulation.
comments powered by Disqus
- T. rex fossils arrive at Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History
- Quote of the Day -- Time Magazine's Top 100 People
- Investigation: The Resegregation of America's Schools
- 5 Explosive Revelations Leaked from Senate Report Exposing CIA Torture
- In Parts of the South, Glorifying Slavery No Longer Pays the Bills
- UC Berkeley professor emeritus Robert Harlan dies at 84
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- Jesse Lemisch’s up-from-below history is still strikingly original
- U.Va. Historian Alan Taylor Wins 2014 Pulitzer for Book on Slaves and War -- His second Pulitzer!