Free market champion Adam Smith on new currency note (UK)
A new £20 note featuring a portrait of Scottish economist Adam Smith comes into circulation on Tuesday.
The note includes a range of enhanced security measures designed to prevent counterfeiting, such as a wider holographic strip and microlettering.
The new image of Smith will mark the first time a Scotsman has appeared on a Bank of England note. [An image of Smith already appears on Scottish £50 notes.]
Current £20 notes, featuring English composer Edward Elgar, will be phased out over the coming months...
The Bank of England said introducing the new £20 note would be a major undertaking, as the denomination is by far the most common in circulation.
comments powered by Disqus
- Nelson Mandela Dead: Icon of Anti-Apartheid Movement Dies at 95
- George H.W. Bush Given Lyndon B. Johnson Foundation Award
- Bruce Springsteen's 'Born To Run' manuscript could fetch $100,000 at NY auction
- Hospital Donates Records of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis to JFK Library
- Australia’s Eureka Flag Finds a New Patch