Historians organize petition drive to protest Florida history law
According to the Florida Department of Education and the US Department of Education –“The [History] framework also considers ways of thinking and the kinds of knowledge that historical study requires. These include"Historical Knowledge and Perspective" and"Historical Analysis and Interpretation."
According to these agencies: “It should also explore how and why these values have been defined, denied, interpreted, and applied differently at various times by, and to, individuals and groups. [Students] should have analytic powers to make informed judgments and reasoned decisions.”
The US Department of Education determines whether states comply with the higher standards of No Child Left Behind.
As educators, historians, parents, citizens and voters, we demand that the phrases in question be eliminated and replaced with the following:
"History uses facts, evidence and critical thinking skills to analyze, evaluate and interpret the past. It is through critical analysis and familiarity of historical interpretations and debates that students will receive a more complete understanding of the American nation and its people."
To add your signature to this petition, please go to http://www.teachingfloridahistory.org and complete the “Create New Account” information. This will allow your name to be added to the list of supporters and will also allow you to monitor the names of other individuals.
Nick Wynne, PhD
The Florida Historical Society
comments powered by Disqus
- Study: Violent radicalism in UK isn't associated with poverty
- CONFIRMED: the Shrine of Jonah/Mosque of Yunus (Nineveh, Mosul, Iraq) has been destroyed
- Chinese President Xi Jinping: Nobody can change history
- Iraq’s Long-Lost Mythical Temple Has Been Found…and Is In Danger of Disappearing Again
- CBS features in-depth coverage of the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights law
- Obama to award National Humanities Medals to 3 historians
- Historian Curt Gentry, known for Hoover biography and ‘Helter Skelter,’ dies at 83
- Harvard historian: strategy of climate science denial groups 'extremely successful'
- Curators at Victoria and Albert Museum are pushing the boundaries of collecting
- Ukrainian Leaders Are Using David Barton's Theocratic Pseudo-History To Build Their Nation