Susan B. Carter and Richard Sutch: Their work on Historical Stats wins honors
“Historical Statistics of the United States: Earlier Times to the Present, Millennial Edition” also was named one of the 2007 Outstanding Reference Sources for small and medium-sized libraries by the Reference and User Services Association, a division of the American Library Association; an ALA Booklist Editor’s Choice, and the Library Journal’s Best of Reference in 2006.
The five-volume set, published by Cambridge University Press, is the standard source for statistics about American history, ranging from population and voting patterns to energy, abortions and Vietnam veterans. The update expands the previous edition, published by the Census Bureau in 1975, from two to five volumes.
More than 80 scholars contributed to the 10-year project, helping select, edit and document the data, write introductory essays and analyze the material.
“Historical Statistics” will be listed in the May 2007 issue of “American Libraries.”
comments powered by Disqus
Richard Sutch - 4/4/2007
For the record, Susan Carter and I are the General Editors of Historical Statistics of teh United States. In this effort we were joined by four co-editors in chief: Scott Gartner, Michael Haines, Alan Olmstead, and Gavin Wright. The work is published by Cambridge University Press and is also available on line.
- CBS features in-depth coverage of the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights law
- Archive of WW II war crimes made public
- They tried to kill Hitler. Now they’re heroes.
- ‘Clinton Inc.’ Author Dishes on Monica Lewinsky and the Blue Dress
- Senator’s Thesis Turns Out to Be Remix of Others’ Works, Uncited
- Ukrainian Leaders Are Using David Barton's Theocratic Pseudo-History To Build Their Nation
- John D’Emilio, renowned professor of gay studies, retires
- Journalist Michael Wolraich says he wrote his new book about the Progressives to teach Americans how to do liberal politics
- It’s Martin Kramer vs. Ari Shavit vs. Benny Morris
- It's official: 2014 AHA election results are in