Ilan Pappe: UK Jewish leaders concerned over university appointment
British Jewish leaders have spoken of their concern after a Haifa University lecturer who has called for a boycott of Israeli academics, was made Chair of History at Exeter University in the south of England.
Ilan Pappe has published numerous books and essays accusing Israel of ?ethnically cleansing? the Palestinians.
"Zionism is far more dangerous to the safety of the Middle East than Islam," Pappe said in one interview recently and two years ago he was a major supporter of the Association of University Teachers? proposals for an academic boycott of Israel.
The Union of Jewish Students is one of a number of organisations who have said they are concerned about the appointment.
Mitch Simmons of UJS told The Jewish Telegraph: We?re concerned that his
anti-Zionist views will spread to other British universities. If an Israel
academic has been appointed with more balanced opinions, then that would
comments powered by Disqus
- New Hampshire professors at odds with library over discarded books
- Troubled history fuels Japan-China tension
- Independent Scotland's last gasp forgotten in Panama jungle
- LBJ was the ‘most-threatened president in American history’
- New exhibit at the World War I Museum ... Over by Christmas: August-December 1914
- Ken Burns on Colbert to promote his new documentary, "The Address"
- UC Santa Barbara History Department featuring a series on the Great Society at 50
- Historians are trying to recover censored texts from World War I poets
- Diane Ravitch blasts the NYT for failing to understand the controversy over Common Core
- Mormon history professors debate atheists in bid to foster greater understanding