Ilan Pappe: UK Jewish leaders concerned over university appointment
British Jewish leaders have spoken of their concern after a Haifa University lecturer who has called for a boycott of Israeli academics, was made Chair of History at Exeter University in the south of England.
Ilan Pappe has published numerous books and essays accusing Israel of ?ethnically cleansing? the Palestinians.
"Zionism is far more dangerous to the safety of the Middle East than Islam," Pappe said in one interview recently and two years ago he was a major supporter of the Association of University Teachers? proposals for an academic boycott of Israel.
The Union of Jewish Students is one of a number of organisations who have said they are concerned about the appointment.
Mitch Simmons of UJS told The Jewish Telegraph: We?re concerned that his
anti-Zionist views will spread to other British universities. If an Israel
academic has been appointed with more balanced opinions, then that would
comments powered by Disqus
- T. rex fossils arrive at Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History
- Quote of the Day -- Time Magazine's Top 100 People
- Investigation: The Resegregation of America's Schools
- 5 Explosive Revelations Leaked from Senate Report Exposing CIA Torture
- In Parts of the South, Glorifying Slavery No Longer Pays the Bills
- UC Berkeley professor emeritus Robert Harlan dies at 84
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- Jesse Lemisch’s up-from-below history is still strikingly original
- U.Va. Historian Alan Taylor Wins 2014 Pulitzer for Book on Slaves and War -- His second Pulitzer!