Ilan Pappe: UK Jewish leaders concerned over university appointment
British Jewish leaders have spoken of their concern after a Haifa University lecturer who has called for a boycott of Israeli academics, was made Chair of History at Exeter University in the south of England.
Ilan Pappe has published numerous books and essays accusing Israel of ?ethnically cleansing? the Palestinians.
"Zionism is far more dangerous to the safety of the Middle East than Islam," Pappe said in one interview recently and two years ago he was a major supporter of the Association of University Teachers? proposals for an academic boycott of Israel.
The Union of Jewish Students is one of a number of organisations who have said they are concerned about the appointment.
Mitch Simmons of UJS told The Jewish Telegraph: We?re concerned that his
anti-Zionist views will spread to other British universities. If an Israel
academic has been appointed with more balanced opinions, then that would
comments powered by Disqus
- Rutgers historian Rudy Bell leads protest against Condoleezza Rice speaking at commencement
- Islamic history scholar Michael Cook wins Holberg Prize
- Prolific Alaskan Historian, Author, UAF Professor Claus-M. Naske Passes at Age 78
- Historian Fernando Prado on quest to find remains of Cervantes
- Historian shines a light on the dark heart of Australia's nationhood