With donation Computer History Museum buys archive of old machines
SAP AG (NYSE: SAP) and the Computer History Museum (CHM), based in Silicon Valley, today announced that the museum has acquired a new collection of rare computers and related items, made possible by a $250,000 donation from SAP. Determined to be of high quality and historical importance, this collection was found in a remote warehouse in northwestern Germany and was scheduled for destruction before CHM intervened. The donation, managed by the Corporate Social Responsibility team within SAP Global Communications, funded the shipping, logistical support and storage required to move the collection from Germany to CHM's facility in Mountain View, California. The announcement was made during SAP's Silicon Valley Week, being held in Palo Alto, California, June 6-8....
Based in Mountain View, California, the Computer History Museum is home to the world's largest collection of computer artifacts. With more than three decades of collecting efforts, CHM preserves a comprehensive view of computing history, encompassing the machines, software and social implications of the computer. The museum's holdings include nearly 50,000 objects, photographs and films, as well as 4,000 linear feet of documentation and several hundred gigabytes of software.
comments powered by Disqus
- Is it a reminder of Nazis or a historical object worthy of saving?
- Supreme Court reveals that the docket books of many justices survive -- and are being made available
- Poll: Majority Of Americans Say Obama Is Mixed Race, Not Black
- New technology helps paleontologists see Ice-Age bee in intricate detail
- History textbooks in crosshairs of Australia's curriculum wars
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- Jesse Lemisch’s up-from-below history is still strikingly original
- U.Va. Historian Alan Taylor Wins 2014 Pulitzer for Book on Slaves and War -- His second Pulitzer!
- UW Professor Stephanie Camp, 46, feminist historian, dies