School named after eugenics leader is now Rosa Parks Middle School
The vote was 5 in favor, with one abstention and 1 no vote. Member Michael Navarrete voted no on the grounds that he wanted a person with local roots to be put on the middle school.
13 year old Michael Zamora, who introduced himself to the board tonight as "a leader from the last graduating class of Goethe Middle School" brought to the board's attention an election that he helped to conduct on campus which almost unanimously supported the Rosa Parks option for the new name. Several board members cited their strong belief in honoring the student body's conclusion in their "yes" vote for Rosa Parks.
Wanda Williams, administrative assistant at the school site for the past 17 years, was elated with the decision. "I am a child of the south. I grew up not being able to approach the soda fountain at the drug store because I wasn't white. We are happy to be rid of Charles M. Goethe's ugly legacy on our beautiful school. There is great poetic justice in the fact that the new namesake comes from a woman who's very life's blood represented a set of values totally opposite the ideology of Goethe. I am looking forward to our renaming-slash- exorcism ceremony before the start of next school year."
The other two name options were Ruth Holbrook and Mitsui Endo. A motion to vote on the name Ruth Holbrook was carried by member Roy Grimes early in the evening. His motion failed with only 3 yes votes.
comments powered by Disqus
- CBS features in-depth coverage of the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights law
- Archive of WW II war crimes made public
- They tried to kill Hitler. Now they’re heroes.
- ‘Clinton Inc.’ Author Dishes on Monica Lewinsky and the Blue Dress
- Senator’s Thesis Turns Out to Be Remix of Others’ Works, Uncited
- Ukrainian Leaders Are Using David Barton's Theocratic Pseudo-History To Build Their Nation
- John D’Emilio, renowned professor of gay studies, retires
- Journalist Michael Wolraich says he wrote his new book about the Progressives to teach Americans how to do liberal politics
- It’s Martin Kramer vs. Ari Shavit vs. Benny Morris
- It's official: 2014 AHA election results are in