Eagleton Labeled '72 Dem Nominee McGovern as Candidate of 'Amnesty, Abortion and Acid'
Following McGovern's stunning victory in the '72 Massachusetts primary, Novak began calling Democratic politicians to get their reaction. The April 27, 1972 Evans & Novak column reported an anonymous source as saying "people don't know McGovern is for amnesty, abortion and legalization of pot. Once middle America -- Catholic middle America, in particular -- find this out, he's dead." This sent Washington into a frenzy to try to figure out which Democrat was bad-mouthing one of his own.
Ironically, several months later Eagleton would be tapped as McGovern's running mate, only to be replaced after it was learned that Eagleton underwent electro-shock therapy for depression.
In his memoir of the 1972 campaign, McGovern's press secretary Richard Dougherty made a comment that implied Novak had fabricated the quote. In an attempt to set the record straight, Novak asked Sen. Eagleton for permission to disclose his name. Eagleton replied that he made the comment off-the- record and he intended it to stay that way. Mr. Novak contacted Sen. Eagleton as he was writing The Prince of Darkness and, thirty years later, still would not allow his identity to be revealed.
Former Sen. Tom Eagleton died on March 4, 2007, thus freeing Mr. Novak to reveal the source of one of the most memorable quotes in presidential campaign history.
Robert D. Novak is one of the longest-running syndicated columns in the nation and the editor of the "Evans-Novak Political Report." Now a FOX News contributor, he spent twenty-five years as a political commentator for CNN, pioneering such shows as Capital Gang, Crossfire and The McLaughlin Group.
comments powered by Disqus
- OAH issues a statement in support of the AP standards
- Daniel Pipes says in interview that the absence of anti-Israel protests in Muslim countries is highly significant
- A historian who studies China has discovered an overlooked angle in the debate about the Middle East. Could he have figured out a key reason for Iraq’s failure to defeat ISIS?
- American Historical Association backs revision of the AP course in history
- Middle East Scholars and Librarians Call for the Boycott of Israeli Academic Institutions