Hemings' descendants meet at Monticello
At the first Monticello Community Gathering over the weekend, attendees discussed family ties and toured downtown Charlottesville and Monticello.
Organizer Diana Redman calls the gathering "an opportunity to get beyond the racial issues." Redman is a descendant of Madison Hemings, one of Hemings' sons.
The Monticello Association has adamantly denied membership to Hemings' descendants, citing lack of evidence that Thomas Jefferson fathered her children.
comments powered by Disqus
Herbert Barger - 7/18/2007
For a full discussion of this Hemings-Jefferson controversy go to web pages: www.angelfire.com/va/TJTruth and www.tjheritage.org. Here you will find a link to the Scholars Commission Report (13 full scholars) that found NO proof of Thomas Jefferson fathering slave children. For three years the Monticello Assn. (TJ descendants) researched many sources including the Monticello Study, the Scholars Commission Reports and their own research facilities and found NO proof of this rumor started by a disgruntled and scandaleous reporter in the Campaign Lies of 1802.
Most of the research points to his much younger brother, Randolph, who was between wives during Sally's childbearing years. As soon as he remarried in 1808 or 1809 Sally had no more children. He was invited to visit Monticello exactly 9 months prior to Eston Hemings's birth.
Jefferson Family Historian
- Study: Violent radicalism in UK isn't associated with poverty
- CONFIRMED: the Shrine of Jonah/Mosque of Yunus (Nineveh, Mosul, Iraq) has been destroyed
- Chinese President Xi Jinping: Nobody can change history
- Iraq’s Long-Lost Mythical Temple Has Been Found…and Is In Danger of Disappearing Again
- CBS features in-depth coverage of the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights law
- Obama to award National Humanities Medals to 3 historians
- Historian Curt Gentry, known for Hoover biography and ‘Helter Skelter,’ dies at 83
- Harvard historian: strategy of climate science denial groups 'extremely successful'
- Curators at Victoria and Albert Museum are pushing the boundaries of collecting
- Ukrainian Leaders Are Using David Barton's Theocratic Pseudo-History To Build Their Nation