Michael H. Ebner: How comparable are Iowa and Staten Island?
Rudolph Giuliani invoked the specter of Staten Island in responding to Betty Schuler’s question about his experience as a former mayor of New York City now campaigning for the Republican presidential nomination in rural Iowa.
Here is a handful of census data (2005), based upon Giuliani’s response to his questioner.
|Persons per square mile*||52||7,589|
|Speak language other than English at home (age 5+)||6%||30%|
|Number of persons employed in farming, fishing, or forestry (age 16+)||59,387||57|
|Single-unit detached home||74%||34%|
* based upon calculations for 2000
** To conduct research on Staten Island in the US Census, look up Richmond County, NY.
comments powered by Disqus
- Study: Violent radicalism in UK isn't associated with poverty
- CONFIRMED: the Shrine of Jonah/Mosque of Yunus (Nineveh, Mosul, Iraq) has been destroyed
- Chinese President Xi Jinping: Nobody can change history
- Iraq’s Long-Lost Mythical Temple Has Been Found…and Is In Danger of Disappearing Again
- CBS features in-depth coverage of the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights law
- Obama to award National Humanities Medals to 3 historians
- Historian Curt Gentry, known for Hoover biography and ‘Helter Skelter,’ dies at 83
- Harvard historian: strategy of climate science denial groups 'extremely successful'
- Curators at Victoria and Albert Museum are pushing the boundaries of collecting
- Ukrainian Leaders Are Using David Barton's Theocratic Pseudo-History To Build Their Nation