Michael H. Ebner: How comparable are Iowa and Staten Island?
Rudolph Giuliani invoked the specter of Staten Island in responding to Betty Schuler’s question about his experience as a former mayor of New York City now campaigning for the Republican presidential nomination in rural Iowa.
Here is a handful of census data (2005), based upon Giuliani’s response to his questioner.
|Persons per square mile*||52||7,589|
|Speak language other than English at home (age 5+)||6%||30%|
|Number of persons employed in farming, fishing, or forestry (age 16+)||59,387||57|
|Single-unit detached home||74%||34%|
* based upon calculations for 2000
** To conduct research on Staten Island in the US Census, look up Richmond County, NY.
comments powered by Disqus
- CBS features in-depth coverage of the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights law
- Archive of WW II war crimes made public
- They tried to kill Hitler. Now they’re heroes.
- ‘Clinton Inc.’ Author Dishes on Monica Lewinsky and the Blue Dress
- Senator’s Thesis Turns Out to Be Remix of Others’ Works, Uncited
- Ukrainian Leaders Are Using David Barton's Theocratic Pseudo-History To Build Their Nation
- John D’Emilio, renowned professor of gay studies, retires
- Journalist Michael Wolraich says he wrote his new book about the Progressives to teach Americans how to do liberal politics
- It’s Martin Kramer vs. Ari Shavit vs. Benny Morris
- It's official: 2014 AHA election results are in