Michael H. Ebner: How comparable are Iowa and Staten Island?
Rudolph Giuliani invoked the specter of Staten Island in responding to Betty Schuler’s question about his experience as a former mayor of New York City now campaigning for the Republican presidential nomination in rural Iowa.
Here is a handful of census data (2005), based upon Giuliani’s response to his questioner.
|Persons per square mile*||52||7,589|
|Speak language other than English at home (age 5+)||6%||30%|
|Number of persons employed in farming, fishing, or forestry (age 16+)||59,387||57|
|Single-unit detached home||74%||34%|
* based upon calculations for 2000
** To conduct research on Staten Island in the US Census, look up Richmond County, NY.
comments powered by Disqus
- Round 2: It's Benny Morris vs. Martin Kramer ... Was there a massacre in 1948 in Lydda?
- World War I Anniversary: Five Historians, Two Questions
- While French historians take a common view of WW I, British and German don't
- Historian: Proclamation Naming Pa. State Gun Gets Facts Wrong
- Irish slave owners were compensated historian reveals