Michael H. Ebner: How comparable are Iowa and Staten Island?
[Michael H. Ebner is James D. Vail III professor emeritus of American history at Lake Forest College, Lake Forest, Ill.]
Rudolph Giuliani invoked the specter of Staten Island in responding to Betty Schuler’s question about his experience as a former mayor of New York City now campaigning for the Republican presidential nomination in rural Iowa.
Here is a handful of census data (2005), based upon Giuliani’s response to his questioner.
|Persons per square mile*||52||7,589|
|Speak language other than English at home (age 5+)||6%||30%|
|Number of persons employed in farming, fishing, or forestry (age 16+)||59,387||57|
|Single-unit detached home||74%||34%|
* based upon calculations for 2000
** To conduct research on Staten Island in the US Census, look up Richmond County, NY.
comments powered by Disqus
- T. rex fossils arrive at Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History
- Quote of the Day -- Time Magazine's Top 100 People
- Investigation: The Resegregation of America's Schools
- 5 Explosive Revelations Leaked from Senate Report Exposing CIA Torture
- In Parts of the South, Glorifying Slavery No Longer Pays the Bills
- UC Berkeley professor emeritus Robert Harlan dies at 84
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- Jesse Lemisch’s up-from-below history is still strikingly original
- U.Va. Historian Alan Taylor Wins 2014 Pulitzer for Book on Slaves and War -- His second Pulitzer!