Rising Seas Likely to Flood U.S. History
In about a century, some of the places that make America what it is may be slowly erased.
Global warming - through a combination of melting glaciers, disappearing ice sheets and warmer waters expanding - is expected to cause oceans to rise by one meter, or about 39 inches. It will happen regardless of any future actions to curb greenhouse gases, several leading scientists say. And it will reshape the nation.
Rising waters will lap at the foundations of old money Wall Street and the new money towers of Silicon Valley. They will swamp the locations of big city airports and major interstate highways.
comments powered by Disqus
Vernon Clayson - 9/26/2007
I don't recall who wrote it but someone said, "The earth is it's own master." Hysterical concern for the loss of land if the seas rise is a waste of time. Man will adapt whatever the exigency, man survived ice age conditions that pushed up hills and mountains and gouged out valleys and rivers, surely man will adapt if seas rise. It won't happen in TV, movie or Algore time, if it happens at all it will be over centuries, if not mellennia. A sudden tide will not wipe out Jamestown, or what remains of Jamestown. Time, dirt and silt are taking care of that job, studying the site requires burrowing down 15 or 20 feet. Don't we have enough to worry about now, what with trying to live where it is stupid to build, e.g., New Orleans, without worrying that Wall Street and its activities might have to move to high ground, perhaps the Catskills, in years to come.
- In words spoken hours before 9-11, hear Bill Clinton say why he could have, but didn’t, kill bin Laden
- Shipwreck Found Under World Trade Center Traced Back To Colonial Era Philadelphia
- Bob Dallek in the NYT gives a rave review of John Dean's history of Watergate cover-up
- Ex-President George W. Bush Authors Book About His Father
- Tears, and Anger, as Militants Destroy Iraq City’s Relics
- Why Benny Morris is both right and wrong
- Professor Ilan Pappé: Israel Has Chosen to be a 'Racist Apartheid State'
- History Professor: Convicted Cop Killer Mumia Should Be Celebrated Like Martin Luther King Jr. in Schools
- Robert Drew, Cinema Verite Documentarian, Dies at 90
- Rick Perlstein: “Ronald Reagan absolved America almost in a priestly role not to have to contend with sin. The consequences are all around us today”