C-SPAN running series on presidential libraries
Featuring film, sound and video clips that have not been aired yet during our programs - Eleanor Roosevelt speaking with troops in the Pacific, Kennedy family home movies, Gerald Ford Election eve program from Air Force One, and others. Also an interview with Sharon Fawcett, Asst. U.S. Archivist for Pres. Libraries.
comments powered by Disqus
Mark Garapic - 11/24/2007
Hello Erik Nelson---Eleanor widely used that joke when visiting Pacific troops. The private shouted "to hell with Hirohito. Up jumped a bunch of Japs, and they shouted "To hell with Roosevelt." and the sad private couldn't shoot a fellow Republican." Since there was wartime secrecy and lack of filming, she was able to use this joke over and over.
Excellent series on Presidential libraries, just thought I'd fill in this tid-bit of Eleanor info--
- Thomas Slaughter interviewed about his new book on the American Revolution
- Historian Michael Ignatieff writes a memoir explaining why he failed in politics
- Olivia Remie Constable, director of the Medieval Institute at Notre Dame since 2009, passes away
- Arizona Historical Society soon could be history
- Yale's Donald Kagan says students need to study Western civilization