German town names school after Nazi rocket expert
Bernstadt auf dem Eigen, on the eastern border with Poland, has dedicated a school to Klaus Riedel, who was instrumental in developing the mobile launch pads for Hitler's wonder weapon that killed some 2,700 civilians in England and injured an estimated 6,500 people.
The honour to Riedel is considered particularly sensitive as the school is in the state of Saxony, where Germany's far-right NPD party has scored well in recent elections.
comments powered by Disqus
Marc Savoy - 2/11/2008
These same town folks were probably dead-set against the British statue dedication to Sir Arthur Harris, Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief of RAF Bomber Command responsible for the firebombing of German cities in WWII.
In February 1945 Harris wrote "I do not personally regard the whole of the remaining cities of Germany as worth the bones of one British Grenadier. In his memoirs he writes "In spite of all that happened at Hamburg, bombing proved a relatively humane method".
- Shipwreck Found Under World Trade Center Traced Back To Colonial Era Philadelphia
- Bob Dallek in the NYT gives a rave review of John Dean's history of Watergate cover-up
- Ex-President George W. Bush Authors Book About His Father
- Tears, and Anger, as Militants Destroy Iraq City’s Relics
- Why Benny Morris is both right and wrong
- Professor Ilan Pappé: Israel Has Chosen to be a 'Racist Apartheid State'
- Robert Drew, Cinema Verite Documentarian, Dies at 90