British hold a poll on whether the time has come to build a statue to Dickens
THIS is the world's only full-size statue of Charles Dickens. And it's on the other side of the Atlantic in Philadelphia.
The Americans, who loved Dickens, sent it to England as a tribute to the author - but it was returned to sender because of a "no memorials" clause in his will.
Do you think the time has come for a statue to be erected in Rochester in defiance of his last request?
Vote in our poll, below, and join the debate ~ in our SpeakOut >>>
comments powered by Disqus
Randll Reese Besch - 3/16/2008
His will hasn't changed therefor "no" is required.
- Earth Is In The Early Days Of A New Mass-Extinction Event, Researchers Warn
- Without World War I, what would literature look like today?
- The Secret to Early Jewish Success: Literacy
- Egypt’s Nasser is blamed for current problems by the regime
- ‘Google must not be left to censor history’ – Wikipedia founder
- Yale's Jay Winter sums up what we should remember about WW I
- Plagiarism scandals galore … but no consequences?
- Stephen Cohen was once considered a top Russia historian. Now he publishes odd defenses of Vladimir Putin, says critic
- Historian who calls bull&%$@ on July 4th parade causes controversy
- This is what motivated history students in high school and middle school can do!