British hold a poll on whether the time has come to build a statue to Dickens
THIS is the world's only full-size statue of Charles Dickens. And it's on the other side of the Atlantic in Philadelphia.
The Americans, who loved Dickens, sent it to England as a tribute to the author - but it was returned to sender because of a "no memorials" clause in his will.
Do you think the time has come for a statue to be erected in Rochester in defiance of his last request?
Vote in our poll, below, and join the debate ~ in our SpeakOut >>>
comments powered by Disqus
Randll Reese Besch - 3/16/2008
His will hasn't changed therefor "no" is required.
- T. rex fossils arrive at Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History
- Quote of the Day -- Time Magazine's Top 100 People
- Investigation: The Resegregation of America's Schools
- 5 Explosive Revelations Leaked from Senate Report Exposing CIA Torture
- In Parts of the South, Glorifying Slavery No Longer Pays the Bills
- UC Berkeley professor emeritus Robert Harlan dies at 84
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- Jesse Lemisch’s up-from-below history is still strikingly original
- U.Va. Historian Alan Taylor Wins 2014 Pulitzer for Book on Slaves and War -- His second Pulitzer!