Remove boulder from Kentucky River? Go to jail.
An Ohio historian is expected to turn himself in to authorities Thursday on charges that he illegally removed an 8-ton boulder from the Kentucky side of the Ohio River.
Steven Shaffer of Ironton, Ohio, has been in contact with authorities in Kentucky and indicated he will appear for his arraignment in Greenup Circuit Court, said Commonwealth's Attorney Cliff Duvall.
He faces a charge of removing an object of antiquity, a Class D felony
that carries a penalty of one to five years in prison.
comments powered by Disqus
- Ken Burns on Colbert to promote his new documentary, "The Address"
- UC Santa Barbara History Department featuring a series on the Great Society at 50
- Historians are trying to recover censored texts from World War I poets
- Diane Ravitch blasts the NYT for failing to understand the controversy over Common Core
- Mormon history professors debate atheists in bid to foster greater understanding