Mexico claims artifacts held in Germany
MEXICO CITY: Mexican authorities say about 700 artifacts from a private collection seized in Germany are Mexican and should be returned.
Archaeological experts have examined photographs of artifacts linked to Costa Rican collector Leonardo Augustus Patterson. They say about half the collection of masks, jewelry and statues seized in April are genuine pre-Hispanic artifacts.
Mexico's National Institute of Anthropology and History said Tuesday that
the pieces were illegally excavated in Mexico and asked they be returned.
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian Fernando Prado on quest to find remains of Cervantes
- Historian shines a light on the dark heart of Australia's nationhood
- Female historian says human rights museum censored her
- Japanese historians slam sex-slave apology review
- Stephanie Coontz: "Marriages require much more maturity than they once did."