Mexico claims artifacts held in Germany
Archaeological experts have examined photographs of artifacts linked to Costa Rican collector Leonardo Augustus Patterson. They say about half the collection of masks, jewelry and statues seized in April are genuine pre-Hispanic artifacts.
Mexico's National Institute of Anthropology and History said Tuesday that the pieces were illegally excavated in Mexico and asked they be returned.
comments powered by Disqus
- Richard III Really Ate and Drank Like a King
- Where’s the one place in the world where nobody’s messed with WW II relics?
- Secrets of the Clinton Library
- India Bans Indira Gandhi Assassination Film
- A prominent historian of science dies and no one takes notice
- A pro-Hamas Left emerges among historians, complains Jeffrey Herf
- Classicist Mary Beard celebrated by the New Yorker as “The Troll Slayer”
- Ilan Pappé praised in Iran as a "prominent anti-Zionist Israeli historian and intellectual"
- It's hard to be an optimist today, but Juan Cole is