Mexico claims artifacts held in Germany
Archaeological experts have examined photographs of artifacts linked to Costa Rican collector Leonardo Augustus Patterson. They say about half the collection of masks, jewelry and statues seized in April are genuine pre-Hispanic artifacts.
Mexico's National Institute of Anthropology and History said Tuesday that the pieces were illegally excavated in Mexico and asked they be returned.
comments powered by Disqus
- Shipwreck Found Under World Trade Center Traced Back To Colonial Era Philadelphia
- Bob Dallek in the NYT gives a rave review of John Dean's history of Watergate cover-up
- Ex-President George W. Bush Authors Book About His Father
- Tears, and Anger, as Militants Destroy Iraq City’s Relics
- Europe notes 100th anniversary of World War I
- History wars are raging in East Asia
- Round 2: It's Benny Morris vs. Martin Kramer ... Was there a massacre in 1948 in Lydda?
- World War I Anniversary: Five Historians, Two Questions
- While French historians take a common view of WW I, British and German don't