Sudan statues show ancient script
Three ancient statues, engraved with a little-understood sub-Saharan language, have been unearthed in Sudan.
The ram statues symbolise the god Amun, and include the first discovery of a complete royal dedication in Meroitic script, only found before in fragments.
It is the oldest written sub-Saharan language and dates from the Meroe
period of 300BC to AD450.
comments powered by Disqus
- World Leaders Extol Mandela Before a Crowd of Thousands
- Nelson Mandela Dead: Icon of Anti-Apartheid Movement Dies at 95
- George H.W. Bush Given Lyndon B. Johnson Foundation Award
- Bruce Springsteen's 'Born To Run' manuscript could fetch $100,000 at NY auction
- Hospital Donates Records of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis to JFK Library