Neanderthals could have died out because their bodies overheated
Neanderthals may have died out because their bodies overheated as the Earth grew warmer, according to new research.
Analysis of DNA obtained from Neanderthal remains has revealed key differences from modern humans that suggest their bodies produced excess heat.
While in the cold climate of an ice age this would have provided the
species with an advantage, as the earth warmed they would have been less
able to cope. Ultimately this would have caused their extinction around
24,000 years ago.
comments powered by Disqus
Vernon Clayson - 12/25/2008
The reasoning in this silly premise would have us believe that the physiology of the peoples of the polar regions today is different than that of those in the more temperate regions. Does anyone believe that the Fins, Danes, Aleuts, etc., would vanish if their land warmed up? Take it up a notch in silliness, how does today's concern for the polar bear compare to the poor Neanderthal in their day? This is a new low in conjecture but the Al Gores of the world will use it to prove mankind is doomed unless we forsake the modern conveniences that keep us comfortable and mobile.
James Martin - 12/25/2008
Gee! We are in trouble then...just the introduction of a swarm of homo sapiens, and their increased use of fire, caused global warming so bad that it wiped-out the Neanderthals! ;~)
- Is it a reminder of Nazis or a historical object worthy of saving?
- Supreme Court reveals that the docket books of many justices survive -- and are being made available
- Poll: Majority Of Americans Say Obama Is Mixed Race, Not Black
- New technology helps paleontologists see Ice-Age bee in intricate detail
- History textbooks in crosshairs of Australia's curriculum wars
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- Jesse Lemisch’s up-from-below history is still strikingly original
- U.Va. Historian Alan Taylor Wins 2014 Pulitzer for Book on Slaves and War -- His second Pulitzer!
- UW Professor Stephanie Camp, 46, feminist historian, dies