Neanderthals could have died out because their bodies overheated
Analysis of DNA obtained from Neanderthal remains has revealed key differences from modern humans that suggest their bodies produced excess heat.
While in the cold climate of an ice age this would have provided the species with an advantage, as the earth warmed they would have been less able to cope. Ultimately this would have caused their extinction around 24,000 years ago.
comments powered by Disqus
Vernon Clayson - 12/25/2008
The reasoning in this silly premise would have us believe that the physiology of the peoples of the polar regions today is different than that of those in the more temperate regions. Does anyone believe that the Fins, Danes, Aleuts, etc., would vanish if their land warmed up? Take it up a notch in silliness, how does today's concern for the polar bear compare to the poor Neanderthal in their day? This is a new low in conjecture but the Al Gores of the world will use it to prove mankind is doomed unless we forsake the modern conveniences that keep us comfortable and mobile.
James Martin - 12/25/2008
Gee! We are in trouble then...just the introduction of a swarm of homo sapiens, and their increased use of fire, caused global warming so bad that it wiped-out the Neanderthals! ;~)
- Study: Violent radicalism in UK isn't associated with poverty
- CONFIRMED: the Shrine of Jonah/Mosque of Yunus (Nineveh, Mosul, Iraq) has been destroyed
- Chinese President Xi Jinping: Nobody can change history
- Iraq’s Long-Lost Mythical Temple Has Been Found…and Is In Danger of Disappearing Again
- CBS features in-depth coverage of the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights law
- Obama to award National Humanities Medals to 3 historians
- Historian Curt Gentry, known for Hoover biography and ‘Helter Skelter,’ dies at 83
- Harvard historian: strategy of climate science denial groups 'extremely successful'
- Curators at Victoria and Albert Museum are pushing the boundaries of collecting
- Ukrainian Leaders Are Using David Barton's Theocratic Pseudo-History To Build Their Nation