Real 'Defiance' family is from Brooklyn
Growing up in Brooklyn, Robert Bielsky heard the story at the dinner table about how his father and uncles fought the Nazis and saved more than 1,200 fellow Jews by hiding in the woods.
Now that tale is a Hollywood movie called “Defiance” and Bielsky is still reeling from the surreal experience of seeing the newest James Bond play his father, Tuvia Bielski, on the big screen.
“Daniel Craig kinda looks like my dad,” said Bielsky, 50, who changed the spelling of his last name.
Bielsky, who lives on Long Island, said it was even stranger seeing his
22-year-old son Jordan playing a Nazi collaborator in the movie.
comments powered by Disqus
- T. rex fossils arrive at Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History
- Quote of the Day -- Time Magazine's Top 100 People
- Investigation: The Resegregation of America's Schools
- 5 Explosive Revelations Leaked from Senate Report Exposing CIA Torture
- In Parts of the South, Glorifying Slavery No Longer Pays the Bills
- UC Berkeley professor emeritus Robert Harlan dies at 84
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- Jesse Lemisch’s up-from-below history is still strikingly original
- U.Va. Historian Alan Taylor Wins 2014 Pulitzer for Book on Slaves and War -- His second Pulitzer!