Real 'Defiance' family is from Brooklyn
Growing up in Brooklyn, Robert Bielsky heard the story at the dinner table about how his father and uncles fought the Nazis and saved more than 1,200 fellow Jews by hiding in the woods.
Now that tale is a Hollywood movie called “Defiance” and Bielsky is still reeling from the surreal experience of seeing the newest James Bond play his father, Tuvia Bielski, on the big screen.
“Daniel Craig kinda looks like my dad,” said Bielsky, 50, who changed the spelling of his last name.
Bielsky, who lives on Long Island, said it was even stranger seeing his
22-year-old son Jordan playing a Nazi collaborator in the movie.
comments powered by Disqus
- Five Things You Need to Know to be a Better Digital Preservationist
- Book on Losing British Generals Wins American History Prize
- Stanford scholar explores civil rights revolution's positive impact on the South's economy
- Harvard Historian Nancy Koehn on Amazon's Tentacular Reach
- Q&A with historian and author Nick Turse